Friday 21 October 2011

Day 10 - Karthum Baen to Korat

Today woke up at 7am and left the hotel at 8am. While packing up, I forgot to take my mp3 player. As I went back into the room to get it, the honest housekeeper brought it out for me.

Today is a hot and sunny day. According to the news last night, the area that I was in was on flood alert.

Rode out towards highway 35 which will lead me right into Bangkok. Some of the new highway bridges in Bangkok are simply beautiful and I cant help but to stop for some pictures. I'm taking a very big risk by going into the heart of Bangkok as the north side of the city is already flooding. Using my GPS (absolutely critical), I found my way to highway 34 which leads to Chonburi.

Effectively what I was doing was to skirt along the south of Bangkok before heading northeast towards my destination, Korat.

Upon reaching Bang Pakong, I stopped for a rest and refuel the bike to full take. From here, I turned into highway 314 followed by highway 304. Lots of flooded fields on both side of the road.

Next rest stop is at Kubinburi, about 150km from Korat. Went to the Amazon cafe to search for wifi as I need to get in touch with Dexter who is in Korat. But no wifi was available. sad. Got myself a nice milk ice blended for 40B.

About 100km before Korat, the 2 lane highway became a 1 lane mountain road and there was a freaking jam that lasted about 10km.. WTF!!!!!! Damn idiotic!!! had to ride in between both sides of jammed traffic at 20 km/h and inhale all the exhaust fumes!! Angry!!

About 40km before Korat, hunger finally got the better of me. I stopped for some 'nasi padang' for 50B.

Once into Korat at 5pm, I gave Bear a call and got Dexter's thai number do that I could contact him. He was staying at the 'Chao Phraya Inn' hotel with his gf and Bear's gf. I checked in the same hotel at 500B/night. Will be staying 2 nights in Korat.

Today I did the impossible escape from the Bangkok floods. Amazing and very impressive I must say ^^

Had a nice porridge dinner with Dexter and his girls. We split the 430B bill for dinner. After dinner, they brought me for a walk around town, followed by light supper and beer.

After supper, Dex and his girls went back to sleep. I went down to 7-11 and saw Uncle John, a Singaporean living in Korat for the last 17 years. He used to be in the RSAF but has since retired. He brought me around to ser the local nightlife scene. Not very glamourous I must say.

Lastly, we headed to Bar Nana disco where we ordered a black label to finish the night. Spent about 1200B each and went back to sleep at about 5am. Glad to have found a local friend here, even though he is just another 'Ali baba'

Expenses:
Hotel - 500B
Petrol - 280B
F&B - 440B
Entertainment - 1760B

No comments:

Post a Comment