Sunday 30 October 2011

Day 20 - Relax @ Luang Prabang

Woke up at 8am and made my way to the travel agency for reporting at 9am. Today I'm going on a half day paid tour to Pak Ou cave (Buddha cave)
Wonder how it's gonna be like?

From the travel agency, we had to walk about 5 minutes to the ferry pier where there were already about 40 people waiting, mostly farangs. I was assigned seat 26 on the slow boat. Kind of bored with the waiting already.

After boarding the slow boat, it was a boring cruise down the river for about an hour. The freaking cold again on the Mekong river and the sky is overcast. I hope it doesn't rain. The boat docked at some kinda mothership (a much bigger boat) for refueling.

The slow boat took a painful 2 hours to reach Pak Ou cave. We had to pay 20,000kips (US$2.50) for entrance fee.

There are 2 caves that we can visit. The lower cave was easily accessible from the boat pier but we were made to work hard and climb up a long flight of stairs to reach the upper cave. Inside the caves were said to be 4000 statues of Buddha in different shapes and form. Offered some joss sticks and candle for prayer and made a small donation of 5000kips (US$0.70)

Overall, I feel that this is a good experience but the 2 hour journey by boat is a little too much. We also stopped at a village that produces lao whisky. Nothing special here as the shops are all selling identical handicraft which I suspect is mass produced.

I was damn hungry on the return boat trip and I fell asleep while on the way back. Kinda feel sick from the cold and hot weather and the lao whisky and rice wine that I tasted.

Had a good but costly lunch of fish and chips at the 'luang prabang restaurant. Including 2 cokes, it cost me 71,000kips (US$9) Damn expensive. After lunch it's time to
hide in my room to sleep as I'm
feeling the weather already.

Ok bad news. It seems I'm having a bad stomach. Must be all the nonsense I've been eating and drinking. I feel so much better after self medication and a good rest.

Met up with some new found friends for dinner. They consist of a japanese girl, a thai girl, a German guy and an Australian couple. Had Lao cuisine for dinner and shared the bill. We paid 47,000kips each (US$6)

After dinner, we went to the night bazaar and further to that, I brought them to the 'Lao Fa disco' where we had fun. Drinks came up to about 50,000kips each (US$6.25).

Great night and good company. Went back to the guesthouse at about 1am. Luckily the guard was waiting for me to return as I had informed him earlier.

Expenses:

Hotel - US$8
F&B - US$16
Entertainment - US$9.50

No comments:

Post a Comment