Thursday 27 October 2011

Day 17 - Vientiane to Vang Vieng

This morning woke up contemplating if I should just leave for Vang Vieng today. Vientiane seems quite boring for me.

Thought really hard about it. Decided to do some work on my bike first. I dropped my bike last night and the tip of my clutch lever broke.. lol.. wtf?!

1) top up engine oil
2) lube chain
3) put back original air filter (too dusty)
4) tape up my broken clutch lever

I had spare levers for both clutch and brake. Just kinda lazy to change it now.

Did a check and confirmed that Vang Vieng is about 108km away and should be reachable within 3 hours. I decided to make a run for it. Vang Vieng here I come!

Realized that the real distance by road is about 150km. Oh well, I dun use the GPS that often. For the 1st 30km out of Vientiane, the ride was terrible. Heavy traffic with potholes everywhere. I was going at about 40km/h. The roads were extremely dusty. Lucky thing I put back my air filter this morning.

Nearly had a head on collision with a crazy driver in a small white car. He drove on to my lane for no reason and forced me to jam my brakes while he swerved back into his lane like 5m in front of me. This pissed me off badly and I U-turned and chased him for a good 5km. He panicked and drove like a mad man. Judging by the way he was driving, he could have jolly well killed someone else. So I laughed it off and continued on my way to Vang Vieng again.

I would recommend only a dirt bike with knobby tyres as anything else will suffer badly in this of road conditions. Also saw 2 farang girls riding along on their dirt bikes. Waved Hi to them as I rode passed them.

3 hours and 45 mins later, I arrived in Vang Vieng. Said to be the number one exotic backpacker location. 1st impression of the town is that it is very touristy; just like Phuket is to Thailand. Many many farangs. But its much to my liking compared to Vientiane.

Checked in to Sunset guesthouse at 100,000kips (US$12.50) a night for an air-con room with a magnificent view of the mountains is the back ground. Staying for 2 nights as I would like to take a paid tour tomorrow.

Rode my bike over the bridge into the 'island'. The troll collected 10,000kips from me for toll fees. Wtf damn ex!

Skipped lunch today so I had a hearty dinner:

1) baguette with fried baked beans
2) basil leaves beef with rice
3) lao style papaya salad
4) big beer lao

Half way thru my beer lao, I suddenly din feel like drinking beer and switched to bottled water. I wonder why? But I did finish my beer in the end.

Dinner came to a total of 58,000kips (US$7.25)

It started drizzling so I went back to my room to hide.

Expenses:

Hotel: US$12.50
F&B: US$8.50
Misc: US$1.65

No comments:

Post a Comment