Monday 31 October 2011

Day 21 - Relax @ Luang Prabang

Woke up about 9am and went out for a stroll along the river. Very relaxing and superb weather at this time of the year.

Also made a trip to the museum and library. Life is damn relaxed here. I would come here more often if not for the fact that luang prabang is so inaccessible.

Had to make a trip to the money changer to get more kips using the 'poor condition USD'. I became an instant millionaire again^^ After that I went back to the travel agency to book my trip to 'Kuang Si waterfall' said to be over 70m high. The cost is 50,000kips (US$6.25)

Rode out of town to get my petrol tank topped up and had fried noodles and pineapple shake for lunch for 20,000kips (US$2.50)

It's really funny sitting in a small mini van listening to 2 farangs (a lady and an old man) bragging their travel plans and experiences. It's so damn superficial. Guess that what happens when they depend on guidebooks.

When we arrived at the drop off point, we need to pay 20,000kips (US$2.50) for entrance fee and walk in for about 10 mins to reach the actual big waterfall. Along the way, there were numerous smaller waterfalls which are simply beautiful.

I met my friend again, the japanese girl. This is the 3rd time I bumped into her. Dinner was settled at the food stores at the drop of point of the waterfall. There are many small stores selling all kinds of snacks. I had half a BBQ chicken and a pineapple shake for 35,000kips (US$4.40) Many dogs gathered around me waiting to be fed while I was having the chicken.

Tonight I'm very happy because I finally managed to eat something that I have been wondering about for the past few days. I've seen street vendors selling them by the roadside but I don't know what the heck is it?!

It looks a a bunch of tiny unopened flowers. Upon a closer look, it looks like tiny bulbs of onions on flower stalks. I was told that the Laotian name for this is 'mak duei' and the way to eat this is to peel the rounded part of and eat it like a peanut.

It kinda taste like chick peas and is damn cheap at 1000 kips (US$0.125) per bunch.

Had beef noodles for supper as hunger was killing me. 18,000kips (US$2.25)

Expenses:

Hotel - US$8
Petrol - US$12
F&B - US$13.25
Entertainment -$8.75

No comments:

Post a Comment