Saturday 22 October 2011

Day 12 - Korat to Khon Kean

Woke up at 7am and lazed around watching TV. Got news that my riding buddy got into an accident and had to be warded in the hospital. Pictures he too showed that he suffered quite serious but superficial injuries. He messaged me to inform he is alright. Thank goodness.

Left the hotel at 9am. Short ride of 190km on highway 2 to Khon Kean. It a sunny day but the temperature is noticeably lower and there was a slight chill in the air as I was heading northwards. I past a few wedding convoys. It must be a good day to get married!

Along the way there were a few stores selling BBQ small crabs?! (wtf? must be fresh water crabs from the paddy fields? they look kind of cute and strange at the same time)

Highway 2 has quite little traffic but is littered with many potholes. After about 110km, I stopped at the town of Phon for an early lunch of kao kapao mu (rice with stir fried basil pork)
for 40B. There was also a store selling BBQ chicken but I decided not to buy as the portion was large. I usually don't eat too much while riding as it makes me sleepy.

Reached Khon Kean at about 1pm. Rode around town to recce for a good 30 minutes to look for a suitable hotel. Finally found 'mammoth resort' for 400B. Nice quiet resort with a very comfortable room and wifi. Really worth the money. And I get to park the bike outside my room again :)

3+pm went to ride around the town which is massive! I almost got lost. Khon Kean is a visibly more affluent town compared to Korat.

Simple dinner of BBQ pork & chicken skewers + pineapple that cost me 52B.

Think tonight shall go visit the very famous RAD disco.

7pm I went to visit Central Plaza, an upmarket shopping centre. Nothing interesting to me. Next I went to Kosa shopping centre which is a boring place. Rode pass RAD disco but it's still kinda empty, maybe it's too early.

Found a nice relaxing alfresco thai restaurant/pub 'Soontaree' to watch the Manchester derby. Placed order for 1 bottle of Sigha beer but 4 bottles came. The staff told me they were having a promotion and it was 200B for 4 big bottles of beer. How am I to finish it alone while watching soccer?! End up gave away 2 bottles. -_-

MU got thrashed 6-1.. It's calls for a celebration!! Woohoo!! How often you see them lose by such a margin?!

Next I went to RAD disco to check the place out. It has 5 or 6 different themed floors to cater for the different crowds. Had 2 small beer for 100B each. Not bad indeed! Quite Posh! Just 2 beers and I get free entertainment. Girls dancing on stage.

1am I left and went back to the hotel as I was getting bored and having a bad headache. On the way back bought some fried snacks for supper. Only 25B. And this ends a great night in Khon Kean.

120km to Udon Thani tomorrow. Can laze in bed a little later.

Expenses:

Hotel - 400B
Petrol - 300B
F&B - 117B
Entertainment - 500B

No comments:

Post a Comment