Wednesday 19 October 2011

Day 9 - Prachuap Khiri Khan to Karthum Baen

Today woke up at 7.30am and slack around in the room till 9.45am before moving off.

Today's ride is the most uncertain so far. News on TV doesn't seem to give a comprehensive picture of the ground situation.

Nonetheless, I shall make my way to Samut Sakhon which is currently under the flood warning areas. Will hope for the best and take things one step at a time.

Strategic decision making begins today!

The sky is overcast and it looks like rain is gonna be unavoidable today. Once out of town, the road condition on highway 4 was horrible. I was navigating my way around potholes, lacerations and depressions on the road surface. Very sucky for a main highway.

Took a rest stop and light lunch of pork kuey teow 35B at the PTT station about 20km before Cha Am. Being the lucky soul that I am, no raincoat was needed this far and the weather looks to be better ahead.

Next rest stop is at a Shell station outside Samut Songkram. Few drops of rain fell as I turned from highway 4 in highway 35. Luckily, the heavens did not pour down. Along the way, I noticed that some of the low lying areas were submerged and the water levels in the smaller rivers I past looked very high indeed.

Finally reached Krathum Baen at Sumut Sakhon. Traffic was getting crazy as I entered the town. Stopped at Tesco Lotus and went to the Pizza company and ordered a lasagna. But the damn thing was still cold on the inside when served to me. WTF! Managed to hammer them and got them to change it for me with my half baked thai. 220B for the meal.

After slacking in the room and doing the room, I went out to look for dinner at about 6pm. Went to Big C @ Aom Yai. There was a huge night bazaar there selling all sorts of snacks and other item. Been here before so I'm quite familiar with the place.

Someone stood me up!! Damn angry!! End up I had dinner alone at 'Yum Saap'. Spicy chicken rice with a lemon tea which cost me 100B. Service here is crap compared to at Ranong a couple days ago.

After dinner, it began drizzling and I thought I could wait it out by going for a walk in the shopping center. But I was wrong and it continued drizzling. I decided to ride back in the rain.

But as murphy's law goes, my bike ran out of petrol. I had to push it a good 400m to the Shell petrol station get the tank filled. After that, it's straight back to the hotel.

Today is really a lousy day for me.

1) got stood up for dinner
2) can't get wifi
3) ride in the rain
4) bike ran out of petrol
5) clothes don't seem to have enough time to dry

Tomorrow is the day! I have to perform the 'Great Escape' from Bangkok. Already anticipating it already! Hope to weather be good to me please^^

Expenses:

Hotel - 400B
Petrol - 600B
F&B - 450B
Telco - 200B

No comments:

Post a Comment